Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oxegen 2011 Line-Up Announced!


So, here are some of the acts you can expect to see between 7-10 July


Foo Fighters, The Script, Coldplay, Two Door Cinema Club, The Strokes, Beady Eye, The National, Primal Scream, Weezer, Brandon Flowers, Eels, Leftfield, Bright Eyes, Jimmy Eat World, Hurts, Crystal Castles, Noah And The Whale, The Naked And Famous, Bruno Mars, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia, My Chemical Romance, Pendulum, Plan B, Imelda May, Calvin Harris, Jesse J, Friendly Fires, Crystal Castles, House Of Pain, Chase and Status, The Vaccines, All Time Low, Black Eyed Peas, Arctic Monkeys and Paolo Nutini! 




So, a pretty good line-up if you're in the demographic of 16-22 years old, but not much to go on if you have a very discerning taste in music. 


And one more thing: anyone else notice how Blink-182 have mysteriously disappeared from the line-up all of a sudden? Very weird. Unfortunately, Oxegen and MCD have a very bad track record of informing fans when an artist has pulled out of the festival. Remember Wolfmother last year? Probably not, because they didn't mention the fact that they had pulled out, despite the fact that the band were on the original line-up. That didn't bother me so much at the time, but on this occasion I'm very annoyed, because I'm sure many people would have bought tickets before New Years on the premise that Blink would be performing. 


Thankfully, Oxegen have tried to clear this up via Twitter: "There's some indecision on blink-182's tour - we expect news this week so stay tuned!" To be honest, it's a bit late to wait until the launch party to even mention the fact (through a tweet!) that there is uncertainty over one of your main acts. It brings into question the whole process by which they book and announce acts. Perhaps they should look at other European or North American festivals and see how they operate. 


Getting back to the music for a minute, here are some of the acts that I am most looking forward to seeing: 

  • Two Door Cinema Club: I witnessed these guys on the Main Stage last year, and I must say, I was blown away. Very good altogether. They have since sold out shows in Tripod and two nights in the Olympia Theatre and are currently touring the world. 
  • Fight Like Apes: When I start writing the Oxegen-A-Go-Go's again, this will be one of the bands that I plan on covering first. I saw them last week in IADT Dún Laoghaire and they were immense. A must-see for all who love live music. 
  • Foo Fighters: Sure, they have probably passed their peak, but having been a fan since my early teens, I would love to see them purely based sentimental terms. 
  • Friendly Fires: Recently got into these guys and they are contagiously catchy. Buy their album, see them live. You will thank me later. 
  • Primal Scream: They may not attend to the tastes of every young person out there, but I for one cannot wait to see Primal Scream. Screamadelica is alive and well my friend.  
  • The Strokes: I was there in 2010 to see Julian Casablancas, so the next logical step is to see The Strokes! 
  • The National: I have been looking for an excuse to get into this band properly, and now I have it. Somewhat similiar to Arcade Fire and a very entertaining group of musicians. 
Well, with that in mind, keep an eye out for this year's round of the Oxegen-A-Go-Go! It promises to be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment